- Select the first cell in the range that you want to fill.
- Type the starting value for the series.
- Type a value in the next cell to establish a pattern.
For example, if you want the series 1, 2, 3, 4, 5…, type 1 and 2 in the first two cells. If you want the series 2, 4, 6, 8…, type 2 and 4. If you want the series 2, 2, 2, 2…, you can leave the second cell blank.
- Select the cell or cells that contain the starting values.
- Drag the fill handle across the range that you want to fill.
To fill in increasing order, drag down or to the right. To fill in decreasing order, drag up or to the left.